Obesity is a serious health problem that significantly increases the risk of chronic diseases such as diabetes, hypertension, cardiovascular diseases, and certain types of cancer. In addition to physical issues, obesity and excess weight can cause psychological problems.
According to the official annual statistics, the obesity prevalence in Spain among the adult population is about 27%, and the overall health conditions of the majority of patients is considered to be highly unsatisfactory.
Child obesity in Spain
The indicators of childhood obesity in Spain are among the highest in Europe and are growing consistently each year. To reduce the level of child obesity, priority measures have been implemented, including restrictions on fast food advertisements and the implementation of tax incentives to promote the development of healthy eating habits.
The obesity prevalence in Spain among children is 10.3%, and the prevalence of excess weight among teenagers is around 18.8%. Obesity affects many children from ages 4 to 5 years (around 18% of this population), and the percentage of overweight children aged 8-9 years is 25.5%. The Canary Islands, Ceuta and Melilla, Valencia, and Andalusia are autonomous communities with a higher prevalence of obesity compared to the Basque Country, Galicia, and Madrid, which exhibited the lowest levels of prevalence.
Obesity treatment in Spain
The aim of obesity treatment is for patients to achieve and maintain a healthy weight. Treatment includes working with a team of highly qualified professionals, such as nutritionists who are experts on obesity and eating habits. At the initial stage of treatment, the patient loses approximately 3-5% of their total weight. Weight loss programs require changes in diet and an increase in physical activity. Methods of treatment, among which special medications and weight loss operations are highly effective, depend on the level of obesity and the patient's overall health condition.
- Gastric balloon implementation does not require surgical intervention; the procedure takes about 20 minutes and is performed under a light sedative anaesthesia. A silicone bottle is placed in the stomach endoscopically and is filled with physiological serum to achieve a volume that will provide a constant feeling of fullness, reduce cravings for food, and limit the desire to consume snacks between meals. The cost of the procedure is about 3600 euros.
- Bariatric surgery (weight loss surgery) includes a number of methods used for people suffering from obesity. Weight loss is achieved by reducing the size of the stomach, either by removing part or by re-sectioning and re-forming of the small digestive tract into a small gastric pocket. The cost of this surgical procedure varies from 12,000 to 16,000 euros.
- Gastroplasty is a surgical procedure in which the stomach's volume is reduced laparoscopically. In addition to limiting the amount of food the re-structured stomach can hold, weight loss surgeries also significantly affect the intestinal hormones responsible for hunger control, feelings of satiety, and the levels of sugar in the blood. According to the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS), this method causes rapid and significant weight loss, exceeding 50%, a statistic that is confirmed by years of research.
- Gastric bypass is a combined method that reduces the volume of the stomach and changes the small intestine in order to limit the absorption of fats and sugars.
- The adjustable gastric band is a reliable and simple restrictive surgery to reduce the volume of the stomach.
Despite the encouraging results of such weight loss surgeries, these are nevertheless aggressive methods that involve surgical manipulation and can cause complications such as bleeding, sepsis, organ failure, and death. In addition to these possibilities, there is a high risk of long-term deficiency in certain vitamins, and as a consequence, patients must follow diet restrictions and take medications thereafter.
El Instituto Médico Europeo de la Obesidad (EMIO)
The European Medical Institute (EMIO) was founded in 2001 to treat obesity in Spain and other countries. Long-term experience and a comprehensive approach are the key elements to a successful treatment. The team of specialists in endocrinology, nutrition, sports medicine, psychotherapy, physiotherapists, and plastic surgeons successfully performs all kinds of weight loss procedures. Modern technologies and methods based on the genetics and physiognomy of individual patients allow the specialists to find the most effective treatments in each case.
- Address: Paseo de la Habana, 63, 28036 Madrid.
- Phone: +34 900 104 050.
- Web: www.imeoobesidad.com/index.php
This clinic specializes in the treatment of adult and child obesity in Spain and uses a variety of methods, including the installation of gastric balloons and bariatric and laparoscopic surgeries.
- Address: Avda. de Tamarindos 23, bajo, 46015 Valencia.
- Phone: +34 963 470 535.
- Web: www.clinicasobesitas.com
This surgical center specializes in invasive and endoscopic treatments for obesity in Spain, with a team of highly qualified professionals that performs reconstructive and aesthetic plastic surgeries, laparoscopic surgeries, and general digestive surgeries, and consults on endocrinology and nutrition.
- Address: C/Balmes, 334, 08006 Barcelona.
- Phone: +34 935 450 990.
- Web: www.especialistasobesidad.com
Specialists from INEEDSpain service center are glad to research and locate the best clinics specializing in obesity treatment for our clients. INEEDSpain helps to organize effective medical treatments and performs medical tourism services, including the provision of medical insurance. INEEDSpain also can arrange the necessary documentation and interpreter’s services upon request. You can find the contact details on our principal web page.